Exam: Digital Mammography
Digital Mammography Description
Duration: 0.33 hour(s)
Mammography is an x-ray examination of your breast. Mammograms are used as a screening tool for non symptomatic women and also to detect and diagnose breast disease in women experiencing symptoms.
We use Digital Mammography state of the art equipment that generates high-quality diagnostic images.
There are a number of advantages to using digital mammography:
- images are of much higher quality
- images are seen and evaluated immediately by the technologist
- images are digitally transmitted to the Radiologist for interpretation and can be enlarged and/or enhanced for clearer visualization and
- images can be electronically stored and retrieved for comparison when needed.
Patients are required to change into a gown. The procedure is performed standing up. When in the examination room the technologist will place your breast on a small platform and use a clear plastic paddle to compress the breast tissue for the exposure. The pressure is released automatically at the end of the exposure. There may be slight discomfort when performing the examination.
If any abnormality is noticed the patient will be recalled for further work-up which may include a breast ultrasound and / or additional breast x-ray images.
We also offer our patients the option of participating in the Ontario Breast Screening Program(OBSP). Patients who are eligible may have a screening mammogram every one to two years without seeing their doctors. They will also receive a copy of their report and a reminder of their next appointment.
Eligibility criteria to be part of the OBSP include:
- Must be over the age of 50
- Not have any breast implants
- No previous history of breast cancer
- No current breast abnormality
Patients are asked not to wear any powder, deodorant, lotion or perfume on the breast and underarm area.
Copyright © 1969 - 2023 York Radiology Consultants. All Rights Reserved.